Friday, December 10, 2010

Folk Tale Bowl



Cian begged me several times yesterday and then again today to attend his “Folk Tale Bowl” at school at 8:30am this morning. Finally I agreed, partly because his requests were so mature. He asked me to come without whining, and I was impressed.

So, Cian was chosen to be one of four children representing Mrs. Heck’s class to be in the “Folk Tale Bowl” which was a contest regarding the kids understanding of 8 stories: Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain, The Funny Little Woman, The Legend of the Bluebonnet, Tikki Tikki Tembo, Abiyoyo, Koi and the Kola Nuts, Martina the Beautiful Cockroach, and The 7 Chinese Brothers. Cian was chosen to be the team leader and supply the answer for all 4 kids on his team when they were up. (Despite the fact that I took him from class yesterday while they were practicing for the Bowl.)

Cian and his team did well. They did not win, but I blame that on their not being selected for the bonus questions.

But Cian was confident, self-possessed, mature and spoke clearly and loudly enough for the room to hear. I was proud. He got all of his question correct. If he had been able to get a bonus question he would have won, Im sure :-)

I did not know there was a ‘Folk Tale Bowl” until yesterday. So I had not read the books with him or quizzed him or prepared him in any way.

/Michael

1 Comments:

Blogger Mique said...

Cian is right underneath the 900 on the wall.

12/10/2010 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home