2012 Ultra Miles for Moffitt at USF
This is my 3rd time running the Ultra Miles for Moffitt. It has become something of my signature run of the year. This year’s Ultra Miles for Moffitt 12 Hour Endurance Run went well for me. I placed 3rd male and 4th overall in a field of 20 with a total of 43 miles run. Honestly, I was the lucky recipient of multiple injured runner’s positions. I don’t want to sound like I am gloating that other people were unlucky. I would much rather they had not been injured!
First there was Rick McCrea, who clearly would be able to claim my position if he had not blown out his knee and DNS. Then there was the amazing 19 year old who’s name started with M (Michael Garrity I think). He ran steady and fast for the first 4 hours and knocked out more than 27 miles. But burned some serious blisters into his feet and had to retire from the fray. I hope he’ll be back. I’d hate to think this experience soured him on ultras. Also there was Saysir, who is listed on the official roster as Merritt. He blew past me throughout the evening until about the rain break, but afterwards seems to have been nursing some serious pain. He didn’t complain in my hearing, but walked and limped to the end of the race. Without these many injuries, I would not have placed. Not to mention Joe Ninke DNS, which I don't know if that was just because it was his birthday or if he is injured too. I am pleased and honored to have placed, but feel bad for the many runners who got hurt.
The day started fairly un-eventfully. Pete Pfannerstall is the race director. He started the race with the national anthem and a short talk before he turned it over to Mike. He seemed proud of the musical selection this year, which honestly was much improved. I even found myself singing along at several points. He also mentioned certificates of completion I had urged him to issue, but which I have not yet seen. I hope they are issued, I'd like to post mine on my wall :-)
Mike Melton was doing the lap counting again this year. He is an easy-going tall thin guy. He started the race by asking if anyone was going to run faster than a 60 second laps, because he had set the computer to ignore any lap shorter than 60 seconds. This struck me as a completely rhetorical question but one runner briefly objected “I might run ONE!” I remember thinking “That guy has the wrong attitude for an ultra.” I never learned his name, but it was the guy who had to drop due to blistered feet.
I had a number of visitors during my first hours on the track. First was Jim. He is a good friend who happens to live less than a mile from the track. I leaned on him to come out to visit, and he did. We walked a couple laps together, he encouraged me and went home to bed. And slept soundly enough he didn’t make it to the closing ceremony, but that’s alright it was sweet of him to come out at all!
My father, Rollins, mother Sharon and our friend Christiana from Germany came by to encourage me, and they brought our dog Vassari. It was a hoot. Vassari used to run with me ten years ago. Now he is a seventeen year old dog, so he doesn’t run much. But he did a few laps with me and my dad and Christiana.
They went home but dad came back the next morning to encourage me while I struggled with the end of the race. I am glad he did: I needed it.
So my plan for the night was to run the first 25 in roughly 5 hours. Which I guess I did. I was at 25 when the break due to lightning was called. The 2 hour break allowed me to recover and run strong again, but removed all chance I could finish 52.4 (or 50) before the morning. So I was a bit dissapointed. But we sat around and chatted. It was like summer camp chatting around a campfire. I almost started singing.
My girlfriend Dahlia showed up during the break and hung out with us. That was great, too. She stayed the whole night. I was touched, that is all the support a guy could ask.
And I got to know Garret, Todd, Saysir and several others including the slow twin Bill. I met Ilene, Robyn, Katherine (I think that was Katherine). It was a great time to chill out.
Then we ran the final 5 hours. Those hours honestly are a bit of a blur. It became a bit dramatic to me when I realized I was only being passed by two male runners. I started watching the positions more closely. I was ahead of Scott, Dale and Todd by about half a mile. Not much if you walk, lol, so I didn't. And looking I just could not find a third male in front of me. About half an hour before the end I couldn't stand the suspense, I asked Mike Melton what my position was. I was in easy range of passing Saysir and he was limping it in. I felt bad for him but kept running. Oh, the drama :-) With Scott, Dale and Todd all walking and Saysir safely behind I walked the last mile or two. It felt great to stop, let me tell you. I was completely satisfied to cheer on Bill, Garrit and Maureen who all continued running to the end.
It has occurred to me that I am a bit less sensitive regarding what I say to people after a couple hours of running. And completely oblivious after 10. If I said anything that offends, please forgive me. I probably don't even remember.
Final results:
http://mcmtiming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Laps.htm
/Michael

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home